Thursday, September 3, 2015

Reflect the Light


By Gemma Cleanslate

When I was visiting Art Farm at LEA, I noticed another region was opening, though maybe still being installed, So I went off to visit it on the next week. "Reflect the Light" is in LEA 18, and I loved it. 

Kiesta Aljon is a real-life photographer and has been making art in Second Life for three years and has created this for the region.  The entrance is through a long hallway with the message “I am not the light or the source of the light But I can reflect the light into the dark hearts of men.“ I then descended a ramp , passing figures that lit the way along a path of the dark Hearts of Man and the reasons .. loneliness and isolation, our personal prisons, loss of faith and hope- the dark night of the soul. 

I arrived at a circle where I picked up an information card that tells you background about the artist’s inspiration for the installation. Four doors that open to the parts of the exhibit, black , blue and red will lead to more levels , each lovelier than the other and then you realize how the dark hearts can become lighter. The black door gives you access to dancing within sparkling art and being part of the works. The blue takes you to beautiful moving art pieces and the third red door lands you at a gallery containing works or real life and Second Life art pieces on the walls. 

There is the last door which is a checkered door that swirls you into a checkered world. The walls and floor are checkered and there are checkered blocks and balls all around the floor that I found I could push.It was fun! Pushing the balls around the floor and away from the walls.  Some balls are floating off into the open sky above, perhaps released from their dark night . 

It is a exhibit you will want to experience so take a trip and reflect your light. One piece that I enjoyed most was the small globes at the entrance to each level on each  side of the door. From the entrance to the checkered room it is all an wonderful experience .You can also pick up a landmark for her sl gallery, Sacred Art and see other works .
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LEA18/136/53/998


Gemma Cleanslate

1 comment:

  1. I first met Kiesta when I came across her sculptures in Raglan Shire's Art walk. Her work is bright and lively. This is her first LEA, so definitely give encouragement and feedback as she experiments with the new, larger space. Filling that can be very hard, but I am impressed at how she has tackled the challenge.

    ReplyDelete